Sunday 22 November 2009

"Over and over....."

If you haven't noticed yet I'm kind of trying to relate the titles of my posts to the content in them. This title is courtesy of Hot Chip. Much obliged.

Anyway, this post is about one of my hates as an editor. Maybe you can guess what I'm about to talk about..... No? Pre-production work. The icon of sin in all film work. Writing a synopsis, a plot, script writing if necessary, storyboarding and sourcing actors!! It may not seem like much, but this can sometimes take up to three months!!

Thankfully, I have many friends who like pre-production work. But, as I am now getting into making films myself, I find myself doing more pre-production work. My storyboards can be incredibly basic, but get the message across. Actors can be difficult to sort out, but as long as you know drama people, that is usually the best option to follow.

The synopsis is easy, just give an indication as to what your production will be about. The plot is just a more detailed synopsis. The script, when linked to your storyboards, really kick start a production.

The production work is always fun. You may have arguements and fall-outs, but at the end of the day you'll all be laughing. Try making an outtake reel when filming, always good for memories and showing your mates the fun of filming.

Then post-production =)
I'll save that one for a later date...

2 comments: